Guess who had a birthday this week?
Yep, my beloved turned the big… oh wait, I don’t think I’m supposed to divulge that.
Hard Eight calls itself a pit BBQ. I’ll be honest, I don’t really know what that means. But basically they had all kinds of smoked and grilled meats that you order by the pound (the standards: turkey breast, half a chicken, pork ribs, brisket, sausage, as well as these little popper things that were a bit of chicken, jalepeno, and onion wrapped in bacon), and then a cafeteria style bar of sides. Everything is sold a la carte, and trust me, pass on by those french fries.
I ordered a bit of turkey breast, and a pork rib and popper each for C and I. C, since it was his Big Day, ordered the rib eye special. We had coleslaw, the aforementioned travesty of french fries, and the house pinto beans. Here’s the breakdown:
- Turkey breast: pretty good
- Pork ribs: did NOT slide off the bone but the flavor was good
- Popper: so amazingly delish it was probably the most fattening thing we ate, including the birthday cake and icecream
- Rib Eye: this was really really good. C and I thought the steak stole the show, probably because it was cooked fresh. I think that might have been the problem with the rest of the meat. When you walk through the line you place your meat order in front of a big table full of all the options. How do you know how long it’s been sitting there?
- The french fries: a bit soggy and almost sweet tasting in the seasoning. Weird, and not in a good way
- Cole slaw: decent, nothing special
- BBQ sauce: a disappointment. Way too sweet and not at all smoky. No depth of flavor at all…
- Pinto beans: a surprising little winner. Nicely flavored.
I also sampled my sister’s brisket which was a little dry, although her corn on the cob was sinfully buttery.
All in all it was good, not great. But at those prices, I want to die for flavors and meat falling off the bones as soon as I blow on them. This place was not cheap.
K’s rating of Hard Eight: 6/10 mangoes
C’s rating of Hard Eight: 6.5/10 mangoes
C and K’s rating of C’s rib eye all by it’s self: 8.5/10 mangoes
(apologies for the blurry pictures, it was quite dark…)